[teacherartexchange] Advise needed on finishing sculptue project

---------

From: Joe Cox (bjcoxteachart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 16:58:29 PDT

I need some advise on how to motivate students to do try a technique that
they believe to be ugly. We just finished a project where the students
created small bust sculpture using 5 pinch pots using a red earthenware
clay. We put two pinch pot together to form the head and the three
remaining are lined up and attached to form the shoulders. They sculpt the
face and hair and attach the head to the shoulders. The project always
turns out great until we start to finish them. I want the students to put a
red iron oxide wash on the sculptures. That technique has always been my
preferred way of finishing a sculpture done in clay. When I show the
student an example of this technique it is usually an overwhelming ugg.
They think the technique is ugly, where I love the natural bueaty of the red
clay and the iron wash. They want to glaze them but I think that the glaze
obscures the detail of the sculpture.

So my question is does anyone know of a good finishing treatment for red
earthenware sculpture that would appeal to both teacher and students. Or
how do I develop an appreciation for something that is organic when all the
studnets know and want are things that look bright and colorful and massed
produce.

Blessing,
Joe