[teacherartexchange] PTO Requests

---------

From: Gina Arena (grafarena_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 16:47:02 PDT

Can I get some advice for dealing with PTO requests. I
just moved to a new
position in my district at the lower elementary
school, replacing a 34 year
veteran. He didn't follow any curriculum, did mostly
drawing with crayons
and markers and a small amount of clay. I teach 1st &
2nd grade, 19 classes
in total, about 400 students.
My first request was to do self portraits with my
students for the yearbook.
I guess the classroom teachers were doing this and now
they were hoping the
art teacher would take over. My problem with this is
the deadline. They want
to have it done by December and I have other things in
my curriculum that
I'd like to cover before then. Also, I wasn't really
planning on having kids
draw their own portrait in 1st grade. I was going to
draw clowns as an
introduction to facial features and portraiture.
Today, I found a voice mail requesting "Jungle" themed
artwork to go along
with the book fair which is probably about 3 weeks
away. It started off
with, "I know it's short notice, but..."
I know I have every right to say no, but how do I say
it nicely without
coming off that I'm not a team player.

--
Gina