[teacherartexchange] Sample Letter to Copyright Owner

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 14:10:38 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Here is a sample letter to a copyright owner:
http://www.umuc.edu/library/sample.shtml

This letter can be tweaked for images, too. With art, it is sometimes
hard to find the copyright owner.

Here is more information on Copyright:
http://www.umuc.edu/library/copy.shtml
This is from University of Maryland University College.
Scroll down to read the four factors that are considered in
determining if use is Fair Use. Further down is the guidelines "What
can be Copied?"

Warning... Getting permission is not an easy thing to do. Save your
request letters so you can document that you asked permission. You
probably will not get a response. I went through all of the steps to
ask permission to use one Andy Warhol image on IAD and never did hear
back. I was just curious if I would get a response. I have not used
the image. I went through the King Estate to get permission to use an
image of Dr. King on IAD.... and never did hear back after I sent in
all of my forms. I also wanted permission to print off one copy of I
Have a Dream speech and make one class set and did not get an answer.
I put the image of Dr. King back on my resources page anyways. I did
notify the King Estate that I put the image back on my page.

Regards,

Judy Decker