Re: [teacherartexchange] poaching other art teachers ideas

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2006 - 06:13:05 PDT

>. . . .
>I am a teacher who always is willing to share ideas, I just want the
>sequencing, and I what never to hear " Oh we already with that with Mz.
>Poacher" "we already did that too, with Mz Poacher" on and on..
>. . . . Randy M.

I also feel okay about sharing with users who are not making a profit on my materials, but I also feel that students need to learn that credit should be given where credit is due. It is easier if the borrower offers to reciprocate now and then.

For many years I have placed the ? (c-circle) or the word 'copyright' and my name with all handouts that I have prepared for my classes. If anybody makes copies of them without permission, they are breaking the law with the knowledge of their students (who see the copyright and authorship). Students are being told they will be kicked out of college for plagiarism. What do they learn when they see that there teachers are plagiarizing without any penalty.

Signing our artwork and claiming authorship for what we write sets a good example because it says that we take responsible for what we do and what we say. If we have quoted something, we need to give credit. Owning something allows us to share it.

In cases where a colleague wants permission to use a copyrighted lesson or handout, the process of asking permission allows for a discussion. At this point we can decide together when and where to place this lesson to be appropriate in the sequence of learning in our overall curriculum. When I give permission for the use of my lesson, I require that my name and copyright is included on each copy and that each copy includes the notation that the document was COPIED BY PERMISSION.

I know a gallery owner who copied a painting she was selling for an elderly artist. She printed note cards with the image without permission--thinking that the elderly artist would not realize that she had ownership rights to her images. When the artist saw the note cards for sale in the gallery, she called me for advice. She made a satisfactory settlement without getting a lawyer involved. Needless to say, I lost my respect and appreciation for this gallery owner.

Marvin