Re: [teacherartexchange] the benefits of three dimensional work/grant proposal

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2006 - 20:38:47 PDT

I quite often observed in 27 years in middle school that students
cherished the 3-D work
they created much more than drawing and painting. I believe it is in
part due to the
throw away society we live in. Anything on paper is seen as
disposable; math homework,
candy wrappers, newspapers, etc. Students not only enjoy working in
clay or metal - but
they see the finished product as permanent, something they want to
keep. Products on
paper are just one more thing to throw away. When we did linoleum
cuts for printmaking,
many students wanted to keep the plate and would just as soon throw
away the prints
on paper. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, yet I believe it's
a factor to consider.
                                                                Woody

On Oct 16, 2006, at 9:16 PM, M. Austin wrote:

> My first thoughts are that it helps develop both small and large
> motor skills. It is also a form of art that is often overlooked.
> Many students today feel that the "really good" artists in their
> class are the ones who draw well. This leaves out a very real form
> of expression. Many students find they can express themselves
> easily with clay, and it often has a calming effect with students.
> And because clay in the elementary doesn't come with a predefined
> set of "rules" like drawing does, ALL students feel successful.
>
> There will probably be better answers soon - the pain medication
> I'm on is a killer AND it is past my bedtime - but that's what I
> think of right off the top of my head.
> ~Michal
> K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
> http://www.geocities.com/theartkids
>

>> My off the cuff answer has to do with multiple
>> intelligences and the math/spatial connection. To be
>> honest, I'm a potter and a sculptor and I definitely
>> lean more toward 3-d art rather than drawing, as a
>> viewer and as an artist (it's not only the work that I
>> make, but the work that I most strongly connect with
>> with) but I don't have any specific data or studies to
>> reference as to the importance of exposure to
>> three-dimensional media especially with elementary to
>> intermediate level age groups. Any suggestions?

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703