[teacherartexchange] the benefits of three dimensional work/grant proposal

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2006 - 20:04:47 PDT

I was wondering if someone on this list might be able
to help me with a grant proposal I'm writing.

I'm taking a graduate level grant writing class (in my
spare time - ha!) and I need some help - so if anyone
would be willing to help me I would appreciate it.

This is my third attempt at a proposal - my professor
shot down my first two and told me to "think bigger".
originally I just wanted and LCD projector for my
room, that wasn't big enough, so I wrote a proposal
for a kiln and a year's worth of start-up supplies,
still not big enough - so now I'm writing a proposal
to put kilns in every school in my district (14
schools total - for a grant for approximately
$95,000).

My argument is that the state frameworks specifically
state that students should have the opportunity to
work with clay. Art on an elementary level is new to
Arkansas and the state legislature passed the part of
the legislature that requires art, but did not pass
the part of the legislature that requires a stipend
for supplies, so most schools have a supply budget of
$1.00 to $2.00 per student - which is fine for drawing
and painting, but makes most three-dimensional
projects cost prohibitive.

My new proposal is coming along nicely, but my
professor would like to know - what are the
repercussions of not allowing students to work in 3-d?

My off the cuff answer has to do with multiple
intelligences and the math/spatial connection. To be
honest, I'm a potter and a sculptor and I definitely
lean more toward 3-d art rather than drawing, as a
viewer and as an artist (it's not only the work that I
make, but the work that I most strongly connect with
with) but I don't have any specific data or studies to
reference as to the importance of exposure to
three-dimensional media especially with elementary to
intermediate level age groups. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris in Central Arkansas