Re: [teacherartexchange] Borrowing lesson ideas

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2006 - 15:52:21 PDT

I think there are two seperate issues here. I have a website where others
can use my ideas as they wish. I present at state conferences, again sharing
my ideas. However, if I am having students work on Scholastic pieces and a
visiting art teacher takes my original ideas and uses them in their own
classroom, later to submit that project to Scholastic - well in my opinion
professional integrity has been lost. I would be ticked off as all get out
if I worked hard to prepare for a lesson only to have an earlier level do my
project. Essentially this teacher is teaching "Art 1" and "Art 2", getting
all the prep work, while the "Art 1" teacher is sitting back and taking
advantage. This is no different than a Senior English class who has always
read "Hamlet" suddenly discovers that Sophomore English is now reading
"Hamlet". Now the upper level must re-do their curriculum because the lower
level didn't have the professional courtesy to come up with something new on
their own. That's where I stand anyways.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> I guess I am fortunate there are so many out there who DO want art
> teachers to borrow their ideas.....

>Teachers taking project ideas?
I am wondering how other high school teachers feel about this issue. I have
a friend who teaches high school art. She was telling me a story recently
about an art teacher she works with that saw her working on the sample for a
project that she was going to present in her
Drawing 2 class. This other teacher took it upon herself to take the idea.
This other teacher presented it to her Drawing 1 students.