RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: October 13, 2006

---------

From: Maureen (mmorris_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2006 - 09:32:11 PDT

Maureen Morris
Arts Ed Coordinator
The Leonardo

Teachers taking project ideas?
I am wondering how other high school teachers feel about this issue. I have
a friend who teaches high school art. I studied with her and have worked
with her on a number of projects, we are both artists. I know how she feels
about a lot of things concerning art, artists and art education. She was
telling me a story recently about an art teacher she works with that saw her
working on the sample for a project that she was going to present in her
Drawing 2 class. This other teacher took it upon herself to take the idea.
This other teacher presented it to her Drawing 1 students. I know this
happens a fair amount. My friend was not happy because she has done the
research, made the sample and, besides, is an accomplished artist herself so
she brings a lot of her own skill and knowledge to each project she
presents. (As we all do but I hope you know what I mean). Also, if this
other teacher takes her ideas and does them with the Drawing 1 students, the
students will not be interested in doing it again in Drawing 2. I am
currently not teaching in that context but I know how I would feel about it.
I do a fair amount of research on the internet and in books looking for
creative ideas and projects. It is one thing if a teacher asks permission
but to ignore such conventions is inexcusable. I think sometimes that
teachers are expected to just go along with too much. Teachers are
individuals; they spend their lives very committed to their jobs. I
personally think that teachers should be recognized for their intellectual
property by simply not assuming that you can just take their ideas without
asking. What are other people's thoughts on this matter? I am curious
because I know it is best to temper my thoughts with other people's thoughts
on the matter.