Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] theft in the art room - x-acto knives and other special items

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2006 - 14:28:11 PDT

I read this on the list awhile back and it is an awesome idea! I have a 2x4
block of wood with 30 holes drilled in. If there is an empty hole it is
immediately obvious not all knives are returned. I haven't done it with any
other tools. I tried identifying numbers but I needed something that didn't
require very much effort on my part - I "forget"! *L* Another trick I do is
to take a strip of colored electrical tape and wrap around my sharpies - you
can tell quickly which ones are mine from across the room. I prefer red, but
have blue as well. I love reading all the "theft deterrents" and
organizational tips when these topics get going. I have adapted so many
times throughout the years because of ideas I get from the list!
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher

> For items such as X-acto knives, you could create a special holder (out
> of wood or another material) with a spot made for each knife. That way
> you could see if any were missing. If you really had problems with theft,
> you could number the knives and have a designated numbered spot in the
> holder.

To unsubscribe go to