[teacherartexchange] theft in the art room

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2006 - 09:13:42 PDT

Thanks for all the advice!

I think I'm definitely going to color code things this
week before the new quarter starts since that is part
of the problem - things being left on the floor,
markers with tops off, this table doesn't have any
scissors and this table has 4 pairs,etc.
I've even had kids writing on their backpacks and
hands (wasting materials) and then had them argue "no,
that's my marker from home - see, I have the same
kind".

While, I'm sorry to hear that so many of you are
having the same problems and even worse - with kids
stealing equipment! It is also nice to know that it's
not just my classroom management.

Last week I went to an assistant principal to ask what
the policy was on whether or not I could have a kid I
suspected of stealing my scissors empty out his
backpack (our school has no lockers so kids have to
take all their stuff with them to every class) and
she said that she thought that this was a "classroom
management problem" and that I really needed to "lay
down the law" - like it's my fault that they're
stealing things - ugh!

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Chris in Central Arkansas