Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] theft in the art room

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2006 - 07:35:11 PDT

It is sad - and infurtiating. Whether it is your own or the schools, when
you don't have the supplies you need because some little darlin walked off
with them is frustrating. At least with the little ones you know it is
because they just HAVE to have that shiny, colorful special momento that
only art teachers seem to have access to. I will often let my younger
students have a bead or a feather to take with them "if they work really
hard not to waste things and to try and only put on their artwork what
REALLY looks good (and not to put it on just because it's there)". With my
older kids - some items are stored in locking cabinets, such as X-acto
knives, India ink, printmaking tools, calligraphy tools, specialty papers,
etc. And this cabinet is kept locked at all times. If I'm absent the
students don't have access to those particular tools, and I make sub plans
accordingly. As for the high dollar cameras, I don't even give the kids a
chance to steal those. I carry my digital camera in my purse, and I don't
loan it out, leave it at school, or give the students an opportunity to take
it. I did have one of my cheap web cams walk off - the student disconnected
it from my teaching computer on a sub day. It was there for 2 years before
it disappeared. Sad thing is, without the software to run it it probably
never even got used.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids