Re: [teacherartexchange] theft in the art room

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2006 - 09:16:59 PDT

I taught art in inner-city public schools and had to deal with theft
issues as well. To top it off, the one school only gave me $200 for a
budget! Regardless of one's budget, it's important for kids to
realize that stealing or breaking supplies is unacceptable. I had a
clear plastic art bin at each table. Inside were a few erasers,
enough pencils per chair, one box of crayons, usually two different
boxes of markers, scissors, and sometimes gluesticks. Each box was
labeled and all markers had a permanent marker stripe (corresponding
to the table color) across it. That way I could tell which table the
marker on the floor (or misplaced) was from, uncapped, etc. All
scissors, pencils, etc. were also marked ART in permanent marker. For
the one school that continued to have theft problems with pencils, I
ordered fat primary pencils - those were NOT cool to take, nor could
they break them! I explained right at the beginning of the year that
I would NOT replace any materials that were broken or stolen. I stuck
with that, and the kids developed a much better respect for the
materials, because they knew they would have to use those items the
entire year.

Before the kids were allowed to leave the room, their bin had to be
neat (i.e. all regular markers in the correct box) and all items
accounted for. I would make them do it over if the bin wasn't neat
and would not allow the class to leave until all items were accounted
for. Kids quickly realized this, so they monitored themselves/
tablemates. Because kids sat at the same tables, I knew exactly who
the potential culprits were. There were a few instances where small
items such as erasers disappeared. I would march up to the classroom
and the guilty kid(s) ultimately produced the items, as they knew it
could only be one of their tablemates and that I had the backing of
the teachers/administration. Since students saw that I cared about my
art supplies and would indeed follow through on what I said, the
amount of theft/breakage was minimal.

Melissa