Re:[teacherartexchange] firing with glaze on the bottom

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2006 - 08:03:39 PDT

>>Hello everone! I hope your school year has been great so far!
>>I need some technical advice oin firing clay ornaments. It seems our
>>schools PTO has been making Christmas ornaments for sale at our
>>annual country fair. They have glazed them all around (all sides). How can
I fire them with out damaging my kiln, shelves, etc.,? I would appreciate your answers.
"carl toonz" <carltoonz@hotmail.com>

>you could also ask the PTO to get a very wet sponge and carefully clean all the glaze off the bottom of the ornaments and 1/4-inch up on the sides (up from the bottom), and then take a needle tool and shave the sides to a thinner coating of glaze (to avoid drips onto kiln shelf.) the needle tool can also help scrape off the 1/4-inch side edge glaze line. a good coat of kiln wash on your shelves will allow you to pull off any ornaments that stick...

>Julie Tonkovich

I agree with the above. Another solution is to set ceramics on pin stilts commonly used in hobby shop ceramics firing (they often glaze bottoms). A bit of smoothing with a hand held grinder may be needed after firing--leaving only minor blemishes. By rights, the PTO should have to buy these high temperature metal pin stilts for you.

Experiential learning is hard to beat, but with the PTO it is probably not appropriate. I tell students to clean the glaze off of bottoms. Students are informed of what we do when the bottom appears to have glaze on it. Kiln loaders are instructed to place these pots on a little slabs of kiln washed bisque fired clay. This way the students can salvage the pieces, but they do have to so some chipping and grinding--experiential learning.

Marvin

http://www.bartelart.com

Preventing stuck lids
http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/Lids.htm