Re: [teacherartexchange] theft in the art room

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2006 - 07:12:57 PDT

This drives me crazy! Two years ago I went with color coded tables. Each
table has one colored tub, and each tub contains 6 small bottles of glue, 6
scissors, 6 sharpies, 6 pencils, and 1 eraser. The scissor handles match the
tub colors. At the beginning of class while I am passing out supplies the
students count items in their tubs to make sure they have them all. Part of
cleanup involves them counting again. I let them know that if supplies come
up missing then that will show me they are not mature enough to handle the
"cool" mediums they all really want to do - paint, clay, printmaking, etc.
To help keep other supplies that disappear - have them stand behind their
chairs before you dismiss them, with their hands on the back of the chairs.
This gets the chairs pushed in, and you can tell if everyone has cleaned up.
Do not allow hoodies, bookbags, or any other item which can hide stuff to
come into the classroom. This is at the elementary level. I have other
things I do at the upper levels. MS/HS they supply their own scissors if
they want decent ones - otherwise they use my cheap-o little .88 metal ones.

~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids