[teacherartexchange] theft in the art room

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2006 - 04:49:17 PDT

While we're on the topic of supplies, I am having a
lot of theft in my room lately and I'm having trouble
stopping it and I thought you might have some
suggestions. Last year I taught at extremely poor
schools no one ever stole anything - this year I'm at
a school where most of the students come from middle
class homes and things are disappearing from my room
like crazy - nothing really valuable, just little
things - scissors, pencils, the magnets off my
whiteboard, - yesterday we made some flour and salt
papier mache paste and someone in my first period
stole some salt!! When I spoke to my students about
the problem they told me that one of my students has
been selling little yarn balls in his study hall!

I started off the year with little plastic caddies on
each table with crayons, 4 pairs of scissors, pencils
and a hand held pencil sharpener - about half the
scissors are gone now as well as the pencil sharpeners
- I've tried assigning table captains, I've tried
ending class early and counting things up - which has
been more effective but seems like a monumental waste
of time - in order to do so I have to have clean up
time 10 minutes before the bell instead of 5 so that's
a quarter of a 40 minutes class we're spending with me
counting scissors and tape, etc.

Surely, there is a better way to go about this -
suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris in Central Arkansas