Re: [teacherartexchange] borrowing supplies

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2006 - 16:39:41 PDT

I absolutely tell them NO! I am given a budget, and my administration
expects me to use that money to buy supplies for my class. I'm guessing by
the pep-rally comment that this is for either Middle School or High School.
I was generous with my supplies when I first started and within 3 years I
was out 30 pairs of good scissors, several bottles of paint, and way too
much paper. By the end of the year I was the one who paid for that
generosity by having to come up with alternative lessons when supplies ran
low. Now when teachers and students come to me I tell them that art supplies
are strictly for the art curriculum. If it is students that come and ask I
just smile and tell them they need to go to the sponsor in charge of
whatever organization is hosting the event, whether it is the STUCCO sponsor
for dances, the cheerleading sponsor for pep rallys, or the drama teacher
for the set design.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids