Re: [teacherartexchange] borrowing supplies

---------

From: Michael Hyland (hyland5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2006 - 10:34:22 PDT

One place I taught I did go through and write up a list with "prices" for items
people would come to get - the non-returnable stuff like paper, paint, etc. I
just went through the catalogs and basically charged by the bottle for paint -
then it was theirs, and it gave me the money to buy a replacement.
I "guesstimated" paper prices per sheet, etc. It worked out ok, but actually,
non that much got borrowed from me at that school anyway.

Now when kids come in (I'm MS), I let them borrow markers, letter stencils, etc.
(I'm really not a total meanie!), but as for paper, etc., I give them a sad
face and tell them I can't, because it comes from my budget, and I need to have
enough for MY classes. The other day, a couple came in and wanted to get
some "googly eyes" for a project - I used the sad face and told them I couldn't
because the money for them came out of my own pocket(the truth!)

Last year, I was nice enough to loan the school musical director a bunch of
brushes for set painting(he sent the kids to ask for them, of course!) He
returned them, dirty and with dried enamel or oil based paint on them! I did
get them cleaned after much cleaning and soaking, but that's it for lending
those out to him anymore! AND, I will tell him(or the kids he sends) just that
the next time I'm asked to lend them.

I think you just have to explain that what you order is to cover your classes,
and that you'll be short if you lend out everything. I've bought plenty out of
my own pocket over the years, and I guess the teachers that assign projects
without having supplies to cover it need to just do that too.

Someone on the list a few years back had a cute sign that they posted on their
art room door, something like "This is not K-Mart, Walmart or Michael's. It is
a classroom, and, as such, should not be interrupted. Kindly visit your local
art supply store to purchase what you need." Of course, it was worded in a
cuter, much more clever way then that, but that was the "jist" of it.

Good luck! Stick to your guns - otherwise, when they find you lend things, you
can get taken advantage of pretty quickly!

Deb