Re: [teacherartexchange] borrowing supplies

---------

From: SUSAN STEVENS (suestevens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2006 - 07:31:33 PDT

Hi all,
I thought I would add my two cents in.

I had the borrowing supplies issue at this school
several years ago (actually it was really bad the
first year I was at this school). I work at a
highschool.

As in the case of other teachers, it was a case of
constant disruptions and requests for supplies.

I put a quick stop to it by bringing up the issue at a
staff meeting. I politely requested that teacher's
find me at lunch or send me an e-mail asking to borrow
things. I also suggested that departments get
supplies for thier own teacher's to share, as my
budget is meant to purchase supplies for my own
department. I beleive I even said something like "I
am not the warehouse for the school". I also
suggested that I am willing to 'trade' for things
like, if a teacher wants 30 large sheets of white
paper for poster making, then perhaps we could trade a
roll of masking tape or a box of paper clips (which I
always seems to run out of!)

People really seemed to respond to the 'use your own
budget' thing. Many departments now have their own
scissors, glue, etc. Some even went so far as to buy
a block of paper that lasts them years and years.

Don't get me wrong of course, I do lend things out
from time to time. However, those teachers ask me
before hand, and it comes back that day or I go and
get it. I also don't really care if I hand out a
little newsprint or manilla paper here and there.
Rarely however do I hand anything out at the door
anymore.

Good luck.
Sue