[teacherartexchange] borrowing supplies

---------

From: Chantal Pinnow (cpinnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2006 - 00:32:46 PDT

I am sure this topic has probably been covered before, but I was wondering
if anyone has a good way to deal with people that want to "borrow" art
supplies (teachers, clubs, student council, cheerleaders etc.)?

I should just say no to everybody, but I am such a sucker. A few pieces of
paper or a little paint here and there add up when everyone asks for them. I
have thought about pricing things and charging for them. Some things would
be easy to charge for (paper), but a lot of people want to use paint. If I
let them use some, how do you charge for that? The other thing is brushes or
non-consumable items. If a teacher needs a bunch of scissors or colored
pencils just for one class day, I can see why they would want to borrow them
and not buy them. Am I being a jerk if I say no?

I thought about charging a rental fee. I feel like such a pinch-penny. I
definitely have a large budget compared to the rest of the teachers and
so-far, the amount being borrowed isn't going to break me. It is just the
principle of the thing. That money is for art class and it is not being used
for art class.

I halfway thought about telling the teachers that borrow stuff that they had
to give me all their whiteboard markers as payment. Maybe then they would
realize it comes out of my budget since that comes out of their budget.-ha

Sorry, for the rant. It is pep-rally day, and I have been hit up for
supplies one too many times today.
Chantal