Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Balloons and latex

From: Cathy Gaul (allgaul_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2006 - 04:35:10 PDT

Sorry to be a buzzkill here but there are MANY people allergic to latex. I
know this from personal experience with my son. Balloons release a LOT of
latex into the air especially if they burst. If an allergic person puts one
in their mouth, they may only get a local reaction, or they could have their
airway swell shut! If you have a child with Spina Bifida, they are highly
susceptible to latex allergies and can actually react to airborne latex from
balloons in any setting. I would avoid them in a school setting at all
costs. Latex allergy is progressive. You never know when the 911 experience
is going to happen.
Any questions feel free to email me off list.

To unsubscribe go to