Re: [teacherartexchange] middle schoolers retaining art history

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2006 - 06:01:51 PDT

I find they only retain information about artists they
either 1. discover on their own in all my stuff or, 2.
I show them individually because their work relates to
what the kid is doing. All-class presentations about
art are, to my kids, just a way I keep them from
making stuff, in other words "a waste of time".

A student teacher I had last year drilled them on
Matisse until they hated Matisse. Worksheets and
everything, "repeat after me" stuff. It was painful.