Re: [teacherartexchange] middle schoolers retaining art history

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2006 - 17:17:48 PDT

What are you doing to make the knowledge worthwhile to them? I don't
generally use powerpoints - if I want the students to really know an artist
or an artwork I try to give them ownership somehow. For instance, I do Post
Impressionism and Pointallism with my 4th grade. For Post Impressionism I
inundate them with VanGogh. I show the "Getting to Know the Artist" video, I
read them books and talk about the artwork, and I put up a large
reproduction of his self-portrait done with the bandage on right after he
cut off his ear. We talk about that. Our local clinic has a Starry Night
painting hanging in their waiting room - I offer a candy bar to whoever can
tell me where in town they can see that particular painting. I have high
school students who see me preparing for this unit and they ALL remember it!
For Pointallism I have them do a scavenger hunt to see who can find things
that nobody else in the class has. They make a list and then we go over the
lists. I have each student go to the overhead and circle something they see
on the transparency. Students are engaged in their learning because they all
want to be "first" to point something out, and if someone names the thing
they were going to name then they try to find something else.
Let the students know why they need the information you are presenting. Make
a game out of it - have a list of items they must "find" in your powerpoint.
If all you do is give the information they will definately forget it. Find a
way to get them engaged, to give them ownership of the information. If you
do this they will remember it for years!
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids