RE: [teacherartexchange] Beginner Shading Projects

---------

From: John Schuler (schulerart1028_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2006 - 17:15:12 PDT

This has worked really well for me over the years.

I start with a value scale with 9 squares. I print out the squares for them
so I don't have to take the time to ask them to measure 9 one inch squares
(I only have 6 weeks with these kids). The number 1 square stays blank and
the number 9 square is the darkest you can get with a pencil. I have them
do that one first. Then I have them do number 5 and keep skipping around
until finished.

The still life I have them do just has cones and spheres (shapes they need
to be able to identify on Missouri's standardized test). I give a quick
lesson on how to draw a cone (I pretend like I can't and draw it wrong and
then act shocked when they tell me it looks 2 dimensional). That is when I
explain that a value scale is on the objects if the light is coming from one
side.

That is the first day. The second day is a short demo on drawing out the
still life and reviewing how to use the blending tool. Then they start.

I've been doing it this way for 20 years and get some awesome results.