[teacherartexchange] Roy Lichtenstein - Native American Art

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2006 - 08:40:43 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Here is a different twist for your Native American units......
You can tie in Roy Lichtenstein, too.
I think you will find many lesson ideas if you browse the book. Maybe
a nearby university would have it.

Here are links to the book
Roy Lichtenstein: American Indian Encounters
http://www.amazon.com/Roy-Lichtenstein-American-Indian-Encounters/dp/081353738X
http://rutgerspress.rutgers.edu/acatalog/__Roy_Lichtenstein_2217.html
"Beyond his fascination for icons of popular culture, however,
Lichtenstein had a little-known, but deep appreciation for the objects
and images of American Indian culture. This book explores in detail
and fully illustrates a virtually unknown collection of his paintings
and works on paper that were influenced by his encounters with Native
American subjects"

Information on Exhibits
http://www.tfaoi.com/aa/5aa/5aa351.htm
http://www.lichtensteinfoundation.org/santaindex.htm

http://www.tacomaartmuseum.org/page.asp?view=6408
http://www.tacomaartmuseum.org/page.asp?view=5320
http://www.lichtensteinfoundation.org/tacindex.htm

New York Times article - (Native) American Beauty
By BENJAMIN GENOCCHIO
An exhibition at the Parrish Art Museum in Southampton showcases
Indian-influenced works by Roy Lichtenstein.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/07/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/08liarts.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/07/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/08liarts.html?ref=arts

If anyone does a lesson, send it my way. Folks often ask for Native
American art lesson plans.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department