Re: [teacherartexchange] Advocacy for professional development

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2006 - 14:50:02 PDT

In my district, with our school improvement plan (based on NCLB) ALL
teachers are responsible for teaching ALL subjects (yeah right! *L*) Since
we are tested in Reading and Math, and our funding is directly related to
those scores, all workshops must meet one of those goals. What this means is
when I want to go to a workshop I will often find some way that it will tie
in to our school goals. Technology is one of the other school goals for my
district, so I can usually do some creative writing to justify how the
workshops I want to attend will benefit my students in one or more of our
goals. If there is any mention of critiques - that is the way the visual
arts "read" a painting, and it uses the same skills that the language arts
use in teaching reading. Yes, the arts are important, but until the rest of
society jumps on our bandwagon I will "play the political game" to get the
desired training. I haven't been turned down for a workshop or class yet!
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids