[teacherartexchange] Day of the Dead Lesson Idea - Tunnel Book

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2006 - 09:06:13 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Day of the Dead lesson ideas has come up on both Art Education and Getty list.
How about a Dia de los Muertos lesson making a tunnel book?

Order Joan Sommer's Dancing Skeletons for inspiration:
http://www.amazon.com/Dancing-Skeletons-Tunnel-Calaveras-Libro/dp/0975415034

You could tie in some research too.... Have the book be about a "hero"
or about an artist.

Here is the lesson plan page on Incredible Art Department:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/Joanna-Popart.htm

A more complicated lesson idea (for Middle School) - would be a
retablo/shrine box with a Calaveras. The Skeleton could be done with
shrink plastic. Lesson for making the shrink plastic skeleton is no
longer online.
Skeleton Template now is only available to site members of Enchanted Learning:
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/halloween/bones/template.shtml
For middle school, I recommend you get some diagrams of skeletons (or
better yet, a skeleton model) and have the students draw their own
parts. You could do it as a lesson in figure proportion.

If anyone does one of these lessons, send images to me to add to the
lesson plage.

Lesson Ideas:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/files/mexico.htm

Regards,