Re: [teacherartexchange] Input wanted on "blue clouds", are they common in other parts of the country?

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2006 - 16:05:01 PDT

Better late than never, I hope. The developmental model cited in this
article was from Marianne Kerlavage, and "provides a holistic view of the
stages of children's development." What I appreciate is the discussion of
early adolescents as "Artistic Challenges," where "there is a demanding
need to develop skill that if not met or diffused by the realization that
art is much broader than realism, generates frustration and can lead
preadolescents to lose interest and abandon art completely."

As a middle-school teacher, this allows me more latitude than what I
(perhaps mistakenly?) got from reading Lowenfeld years ago.
What I remember than was basically Lowenfeld's recommendation to let
students this age experience art via stylistic experiences such as abstract
expressionism.
I had/have difficulty with that, because I feel it lets us off the hook.

The book I originally referred to is by Michael Parsons. Its entitled How
We Understand Art: a Cognitive Development Account of Aesthetic Judgment
(Cambridge University Press, 1987), which advances an account of aesthetic
development, modeled on Kohlberg's studies of moral development. It details
the ways in which art is an expression of personal insights and of social
values.

Back to grading critiques!