Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Listening to our Ancestors - North West Coast Exhibit

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2006 - 06:51:45 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

This is a new to me online exhibit.
Listening to Our Ancestors: The Art of Native Life Along the North Pacific Coast

"Listening to Our Ancestors explores how Native people along the coast
of Washington State, British Columbia, and Alaska continue
time-honored practices in an ever-changing modern world. The
exhibition features more than 400 ceremonial and everyday objects, as
well as commentary from representatives of eleven contemporary North
Pacific Coast Native nations.

"The exhibition includes a wide variety of pieces, from intricately
woven and ornamented dance blankets to halibut fishing hooks, finely
carved and painted masks of supernatural creatures to spoons carved
from the horns of mountain goats. Each object reflects the creativity
of people whose art has been collected by museums worldwide for more
than a century."

copied from:

A selection from the exhibit may be found online. View the Communities
and Galleries.

More online exhibitions:

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department