Re:[teacherartexchange] perspective lesson

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 29 2005 - 16:53:26 PDT

Hi All,
I have recieved several dozen requests for my
perspective lesson, and Judy Decker has generously
offered to post it on her website to save everyone
time and effort. Thanks, Judy!
As a further explanation, the mechanics of teaching
the lesson are as follows:
1. Materials: Use an 18 inch ruler, 12x18 sheet of
white paper, 8 1/2 x 14 sheet of white paper for the
drawing, drawing pencils,erasers, tape.
2. I give a demonstration to my students (5th
graders), showing how to use the ruler and vanishing
points to achieve what I want in my drawing. Older
students could likely take a copy of the lesson and
work independently.
3. Begin by taping the smaller paper onto the larger.
 Follow the set of rules until a basic house is
completed.
4. One of my requirements is that students must use
their own imaginations and structure designs at some
point in the picture. I do several examples beyond
the basic 2 point lesson that show how to draw
interiors, exteriors, big cities, neighborhoods, etc.
to get kids thinking beyond the objects depicted in
the lesson.
5. I think at some point, a discussion about how
linear perspective is only one element in perspective
drawing, and that placement of objects, scale,
overlapping and size play a part beyond the mechanical
drawing is important.

I hope you all find this lesson useful. Give me
feedback, especially if you see a need for
improvement.

Hope this helps, Jerry