Re: [teacherartexchange] criticism with 8th graders

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 27 2005 - 12:44:19 PDT

Hi Cathy, We made a handout and I will sort of paraphrase it
I: Artist--Historical Description
write and leave blanks after each: artist, size, place, date, medium, artform subject. This is really important if they are doing a critique of an artist in history, but if they are reviewing their own work and it's right in front of everyone, maybe just ask for subject and medium.
II: Analysis- Formal Properties
list each element and principle and leave a blank space after and they can write on each that apply
III. Interpretation--Expressive Properties (what is the message or story that the artist is trying to
communicate.
     a. Mood or feeling (happly, sad. lonely, angry etc.)
     b. Ideals (courage, love beauty)
     c. Symbolism (visual metaphors)
IV. Judgement--techniques and processes (did artist successfully complete the work?)
    a. Were materials appropriate for the work?
    b. What creative techniques did the artist use to make the work successful?
    c. Did the artist show good craftsmanship in the work?
    d. Did the artist successfully complete his work with regard to subject, content and composition?
    e. Would you display this work in your home or office?

we also have but it's not in the 4 things

V. Aesthetic Theory
In which of the three aesthetic categories does the artwork fall?
Imitationalism (realistic qualities)
Formalism (design qualities)
Emotionalism (expressive qualities)

>>> cathygersich@msn.com 10/26/05 7:20 PM >>>
Does anyone have a good way to teach 8th graders how to use the four levels
of criticism (describe, analyze, interpret and judge)? I'm working on a
handout and would like them to use the process for assessing their own and
others assemblages that we just finished. Any tips on teaching the process?

Thanks,
Cathy

PS If anyone wants to share the hand-out they have created it would be very
helpful!!!