RE:[teacherartexchange] matting thick work

---------

From: Ellis, Vickie (vellis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 27 2005 - 09:50:59 PDT

I matt student work in shadow box frames a lot for Scholastic & other
competitions, where the work must be matted, but not in a frame. (Is
this what you are talking about?) If so, just cut your matt, then cut
strips of foam board the thickness you want, & attach to the sides of
the matt at a right angle to make a "box" to the frame. I usually "box"
the outer & the inner frame for support. With my intro. students (that
can't get the exacting measuring & cutting of the foam board), I have
them just glue strips of foam board (that I have already cut slightly
smaller than the width of the matt sides) to the back of the matt until
it is the right depth. The strips do not have to be exact in width or
length. I use our scraps. But they should be slightly inside the edges
of the matt so they can't be seen when viewing the art from the front.
They are stacked & glued to the depth I want, then I set books on it to
let the glued foam board strips set up overnight. I use a sturdy
cardboard on the back of all of it to give it support enough to shrink
wrap the whole thing for art shows. I've displayed 3-d art, jewelry,
etc, this way for years, & they stay together. vellis@fortosage.net