RE: [teacherartexchange] criticism with 8th graders

---------

From: familyerickson (familyerickson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 27 2005 - 08:56:30 PDT

Cathy,
One of the things I used to do when I taught MS was provide a handout on art
criticism and tell the kids to study hard because we are going to have a
very hard test on Friday. When Friday came I would put all the chairs in a
circle and make a pile of a recent assignment of drawings, paintings or
whatever. I would then have a pile of describe/analyze/interpret/judge
questions. I would sit with my gradebook and call out a person randomly.
They would select the top work of art and the top question and answer it
related to that work of art.
I always explained that the rule was that if they used any derogatory terms
or stated anything in a hateful way it would be an automatic "F". They
also lost points if they didn't listen respectively.
The kids were relieved that their "test" was only to answer 1 or 2
questions and they enjoyed hearing others' perspectives. If they
absolutely couldn't formulate an answer to the question they could pass it
on to the next person but they "failed" that one question. They then got
another chance to draw again. It helps if you call on some of the smart
kids first--then the others catch on.

I don't have my handout anymore because I have changed grade levels and
schools but you might be able to use something from the websites that
Christina posted.

Cindy