[teacherartexchange] Ceramics

---------

From: Sarah Michet (smichet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 18:04:32 PDT

Hi -

I'm a first year art teacher in NYC and just joined the list. I'm
hoping some of the experienced teachers can offer some advice about my
ceramics situation.

I'm the only art teacher in a small public high school. I inherited a
kiln and two wheels which have not been used in several years (I think
it's been at least 3), but the principal really wants me to do
ceramics with the students some time this year. Though I took ceramics
in high school and college, I never learned how to operate and load a
kiln. Furthermore, I'm afraid that since it hasn't been used in
several years, it's going to blow up the place when I turn it on!!

The kiln is a tiny front-loading Amaco (?) - the interior looks not
much larger than a cubic foot or two. There's also another, even
smaller kiln that opens like a toaster oven - I'm not sure what these
tiny kilns were designed to be used for - tiles and beads?

I have about 70 students total. I know that if I have them all do
ceramics at the same time, I'll have to move into the school building
to be firing things 24/7. I'm not even sure what I should ask here, I
just know that I'm clueless. I have about $1000 left in my budget to
buy supplies for second semester.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Sarah M.