Re:[teacherartexchange] I'm getting by,....gesture

---------

From: Robin Gianis (rgianis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 24 2005 - 06:16:56 PDT

I think it is a culturally pervasive attitude to think that one either
is or is not born with an art talent, namely the ability to draw (of
course we know there is so much more to it than drawing alone).
My feeling is attitudes may be transformed with appropriate instruction,
but it takes a lot of will and time to do this... My ninth graders began
the year complaining about not being able to draw as if it was a done
deal in their life already! I have spent most of my time, so far this
year, trying to convince them otherwise. It may not work for all groups,
but Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain Workbook
really helps me as a teaching tool. Step by step, the exercises really
do encourage the students to learn that if they leave their left brain
at the door, and work through that uncomfortable feeling we all get when
we sit down to draw something, they can learn to draw. It is a drastic
change in attitude and approach for most of them, and in my classes I
have to constantly remind them they have to approach drawing in a
completely new way to be successful.
If they trust me, and stick with it, they make great strides.
Robin in the Hamptons