[teacherartexchange] Na´ve Art of Serbia

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 23 2005 - 12:42:46 PDT

Dear all,

Yesterday I traveled with a friend to the village of Kovacica. Located about
59 km from Belgrade, this village is known for its na´ve art. There, we went
to the main gallery, where we saw quite a nice collection of the villager's
art, whose tradition dates back to the late 1940's. In addition, we visited
one of the artists' home.
I have included some of the paintings on my site in order to increase
awareness of this Serbian artform. Subject matter mainly consists of village
scenes and the rural countryside of this Slovak village. I especially like
the exaggeration of the size of the hands, which I think emphasizes the hard
manual labor an agricultural society undergoes.

http://homepage.mac.com/melissaenderle/Serbia/Kovacia/kovacia.html

Speaking of artwork, I will be having an art show starting on November 15th
at a gallery in Pancevo, Serbia (about 16 km from Belgrade) that only
displays women's work. More on that later.

Enjoy!
Melissa