Re:[teacherartexchange] I'm getting by,....gesture

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 23 2005 - 03:58:10 PDT

There is a better way than the white board. With over 20 in a high school
art class now I am back using the over head. I can dim the room. I can make
the overheads up in advance or draw directly. I can leave the over head up.
also I can have absent student hand copy it the next day. Of course I feel
like a bloody Math teacher but.... I have so many no listeners in my
ADVANCED art classes that I have gone back to it.

Re teaching hatching crosshatching. dots controlled scribbled lines.... I
have an old old A P exercise. The guy who taught the AP training class had
his students practice tone right on a handout. You have a completed(make it
) still life arrangement of three d forms. They are already drawn and
shaded using crosshatching. The kids lay tracing paper or thin paper over
and WITHOUT outlining first build up the tone following the guide. Yes it
is Mickey mouse but can be a valuable practice. Later on I have simple
three d forms photocopied that they pain right on practicing gradations of
color using paint... Which is also a hard concept... the idea of several
oranges creating a three d object.
Oh, to every one else, before you all yell at me for such mindless
practices, they are called "Labs" and we spend much more time or mor
creative open ended artmaking.....Randy in wet, rainy Maine