Re: [teacherartexchange] Was the Kindergarten teacher out of line?

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 22 2005 - 12:32:15 PDT

Personally, I would have been extremely angry that the teacher altered my
project, because she insinuated that the projects were not "good enough"
when they left your room. If I were you I would type up the learning
objectives of the lesson, explaining exactly what the children learned, and
if you haven't done so already, introduce yourself in a short blurb and talk
about how children's art is important in it's own right and that you don't
believe in using pre-made items as this detracts from their wonderful
projects. Attach this to the back of the projects before you send them home.
I would then pull her aside and explain what the notes on the back were for,
explaining that "as the classroom teacher, if parents have questions they
might contact her first and you don't want to catch her unawares." I always
try to play the subtle card first, and then if she alters your projects
again I would bluntly tell her that it is unacceptable for her to alter your
projects. I haven't ever had to actually deal with anything like this since
I don't send any artwork home until the end of the year, so maybe someone
has other ideas that have worked. Good luck!
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids