[teacherartexchange] Was the Kindergarten teacher out of line?

---------

From: Chris Lincoln (artloverlincoln_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 22 2005 - 11:27:21 PDT

What do you think about this....... I had the Kinders turn a heavy
stuffed paper bag into a Spooky house for Halloween. They patterned
different lines onto orange paper for the roofs.(which I stapled on)
They drew, Sharpied, cut out, and glued Halloween decorations (ghosts,
pumpkins, mummies, chimney, door, and bats) onto the bag. They were
cute as could be. I sent the Spooky houses back to class with the
kids so that they would take them home and be part of their home decor
for Halloween. It turns out that once the houses were back in their
own classroom their teacher had them add die-cut ghosts, stickers,
etc. All of the additions were machine made. She never mentioned it
to me until after the kids took them home. My real question is....was
she out of line to have her students work on them again, what message
was she sending with the perfect machine made shapes?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
St. Mel School