[teacherartexchange] Budget woes turned into a lesson plan?

---------

From: Heather Hayes (heatherglenn77_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 08:48:52 PDT

I'm teaching middle school, and have GIANT classes (35 kids), and a
pathetically small budget ($900 for the whole year). I'm having a HUGE
issue with getting kids to conserve supplies. I don't have the
energy/temperament/time/organizational skills/whatever to police every
single small detail about how the kids use them. I've tried. If I police
one thing, another type of supply gets wasted. If I spend all my time
watching the use of materials, I don't have time to actually help the kids
with the project itself. I've had talks about conserving with them, but it
doesn't seem to be sinking in.

Anyway, I was thinking about having them do a research project where they
are the teacher and they have to come up with a lesson idea for their art
classes. They then have to list every supply needed and come up with a
price list for each item, and then tell me how much the project would cost
for 120 students. Either that way, or giving them a budget and making them
stay w/in x amount of dollars for the project for 120 students.

I'm thinking this would be a great way to drive it home that art materials
aren't cheap, and they need to conserve while also connecting with math
skills, as well as making some connections with possible career paths.

Any suggestions about either the project, or strategies to get kids to
conserve supplies?

Heather