Re: [teacherartexchange] Student with broken thumb/hand/wrist--questions

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 12:17:32 PDT

Several years ago I had a couple of boys who were smart and interested and I had them in the room all the time--lunch, before and after school and during their class--I told them to just sit down and figure out every single feature of photoshop. Just look at the book that comes with it and try something new every day. I still don't know much because I don't have the time, but they got really good. You can ask him what he's doing and give him an assignment that will fit it occasionally Not everyone has that much interest and discipline--is there someone else that would do it with him?

>>> sharon@art-rageous.net 10/20/05 3:42 PM >>>
One of my advanced art students was injured during a soccer game earlier
this week and he's in a pretty restrictive cast for at least 6 weeks.
His finger tips on his right hand are exposed, but that's about it.

This was his first day back to school and we were talking about
options.... He'd been working on a fantastic colored pencil drawing,
but that will have to be finished later on.

I said it was possible that I could put together some sort of photoshop
tutorial and assignments for him (I don't have anything prepared, as
this isn't a "normal" part of the curriculum) and he asked if I knew of
any software programs (freeware or shareware) involving design--like car
stuff. I'm not aware of any.

He's not really familiar with computers so photoshop or any design
software would be a completely new experience for him; he's a real
pencil and paper type of guy.

We ruled out web design (something that I could easily teach) due to
his lack of interest, plus the amount of typing required. My
school-issued laptop has a touch pad which he can manipulate with his
left hand, but he'll be limited to basic "clicking."

So....does anyone know of any type of car design software? Any other
suggestions?

While this is certainly a set-back for him--he's a junior who's
seriously considering going to an art school--I'm hoping we can use it
as an opportunity to develop new skills.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Sharon
www.art-rageous.net