[teacherartexchange] Gesture lessons before sculpture...

---------

From: bkramer(POP) (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 15:44:13 PDT

 I've never had much success
> with gesture drawing. We only did it as a quick warm
> up activity.
************************

Hi. I like to do gesture studies with my mid. school students for at least
2-3 days before we start our Giacometti sculptures. The kids love to do
these if you have a little creativity in how you present it and keep making
it fresh.

I start with dittos I have made for the kids of sports figures, dancers,
pirates fighting, old people walking, models, etc. I have the same dittos on
overhead transparencies. I show them first how to make the ever-present
"sausages" for parts of the body by laying a plain transparency over the
other transparency picture. They put copy paper over their dittos so they
can see through to their pictures too and we do it together. They now have a
sense of body parts. Next we go a little faster and concentrate on the body
"line". Faster still. By this time we've gone through about 6-7 figures.

The next time we start the TRUE gesture drawings looking for line and shape
of the figure with kids modeling. (The princpal is a GREAT model...BTW.)
First one min., 45 sec., 30 sec. and finally 10 sec. ones. Each time we do
something different. For example:

1. loose gesture getting the shapes and line
2. doing the same gestures but doing it in scribble lines
3. gestures now done in coil wrap...like little tornadoes
4. gestures in geometric shapes....all gestures done in circles, triangles,
         squares, etc. very quickly
5. gestures in JUST small horizontal lines (or all diagonal short lines)
6. gestures showing ONLY the negative space...figure left in white and
         background in pencil shading using side of pencil
7. gestures done with figure shaded in with side of pencil quickly and then
         heavier with pencil on one side showing contour shading

All of the above are done in 45 sec. or less.

I have to stop the kids from doing these after two days or so. They can come
up with the most unusual gesture techniques of their own. They say it's
like eating potato chips...you can't stop! Bunki