Re: [teacherartexchange] I'm getting by,....gesture

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 12:53:26 PDT

It sounds like you need to sit down and look at each grade and the time you have with them and plan a sequence of events that will give them the information you want them to have. It sounds like you're jumping from project to project without a plan. If your district has a curriculum plan that is useful (ours is all verbage now with standards) use it, if not just develop your own. Think of all the methods you can cover and at what age they seem appropriate. Have projects get more exciting with age, because otherwise you won't be able to hold on to those older kids--you can do any project at any age from K to college, but clearly some levels will get way more out of it. When I taught Jr. High the curric. said that my goal was to introduce kids to classes that they could take in high school so that they would have an inklings as to whether they had an interest, and they would know fundamentals. So I divided the time I had with the kids up into the areas I wanted to cover: ceramics, drawing, painting,sculp
ture (paper mache), photography (pin-hole camera). I had kids for a semester so I had 90 days--I spent 4 weeks with ceramics, 2 with printmaking etc. Figure out how long certain projects take and what knowledge you want them to take away. Shading is hard for kids and they whine a lot, so I just did simple value studies and called it good. There are so many fun ideas presented on this list that it's easy to keep jumping around. Sid

>>> StacieMich@aol.com 10/19/05 7:33 PM >>>
ANother questions...I only have these students for seven more weeks. Would
you even bother with a lesson on gesture or simply jump right into value and
maybe have them do a still life? I'm trying to give them some drawing skills,
then move into composition, space and color. I also like to do a couple of
lessons on artists and give them at least one watercolor lesson. What would you
try to pack into such a short amount of time?