[teacherartexchange] Better Classroom Cleanup Results

---------

From: Worden, Erin (eworden_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 14:25:36 PDT

Thanks for all your help!

This email is my data in plain text. If you would like see it in the original format that includes my charts please send a request to ewordne@novi.k12.mi.us

Better Classroom Cleanup
Erin T. Worden
Mentor: Cheryll M Ropke
EDU 690: Collaborative Action Research
Marygrove College
October 14, 2005

Abstract

 This study focused on inadequate and inequitable art room cleanup practices in a high school art room in Novi, Michigan. The goals of this study were to create an outline for a consistent, evenhanded cleanup plan that could be used in any art room or shop type environment.
 Related literature reveals that many teachers have a problem with classroom cleanup, but others have a good handle on classroom cleanup and valuable information to share. The purpose of this collaborative action research study was to collect and evaluate different ideas with regard to student cleanup, how to motivate students to cleanup, and how to hold them equally accountable for cleanup. Data collection instruments included student and teacher surveys, student questioners, teacher request letter, and present student, past student, and teacher/administrator interviews.
 The results show that a written plan, specific assigned jobs, and student accountability are key components to better classroom cleanup. These results suggest that that teachers who implement a written plan that includes student accountability have more time to do other things during their planning time and between classes.
 --abstract of Erin Worden, "Better Classroom Cleanup"

Better Classroom Cleanup
Introduction
       The art room can be an exciting place to visit. When you walk in, it is not unusual to see many different wonderful projects going on. Students may be using a wide range of materials from pencils to paint, may be gluing construction paper or tearing magazines for decoupage. You might experience the clay construction process or the keen-eyed photographer at work, a future jewelry may be sawing metal or a master painting could be in the works.
       There are hundreds if not thousands of art projects that can be done in any art classroom. All these projects consist of materials that in the end can lead to quite a mess.
       Being a high school art teacher of four years, I have firsthand knowledge of how true this is. At Novi High School, where I teach, students create beautiful art but often make an ugly mess in the process. I work with over 90 different students daily, and it is hard to keep track of which student is responsible for what mess, or missed cleanup area. As the teacher, I have struggled over the years to come up with a system that will keep the classroom clean; a system that will have every student contributing his or her equal time and effort toward the cleanup task.
       I have chosen this topic to study because I am tired of being the maid for all my students. I also think it is unfair that I see the same students cleaning all the time while others sit and watch. I think this is a problem not only in my art room, but in many art rooms, as well as other lab and shop-type classrooms. I think the information this research will produce will be very beneficial in a wide variety of curricular areas.
       Literature Review

       Motivating students to participate in classroom cleanup is a daunting task. Experienced teachers and educational researchers seem to both agree that cleanup responsibilities should be posted and jobs should remain consistent. Cleanup assignments should be "spelled out" so students know what the teacher's expectations are (Chamberlin & Gold, 1996). "Post within each area of the classroom required cleanup tasks for that area" (Starr, 2004, ¶6). When students understand and accept rules they are more likely to follow them. Rules need to be part of a daily routine. Procedure rules, like cleanup, need to be explicit, and the rationales for the rules need to be explained (Good & Brophy, 1997). Weinstein, Four Principals of Classroom Rules (as cited in Williams, Alley & Henson's 1999), state "rules should be: 1. reasonable and necessary, 2. clear and understandable, 3. consistent with instructional goals and what we know about how people learn, 4. consistent with school rules" (p.85).
       Giving students ownership in creating art classroom cleanup job rules is an important step in getting them to actively participate. Many researchers have agreed that rules should be formulated collaboratively, both the teacher and the students discussing their wants and needs. If everyone mutually agrees to the rules, there is a no-lose situation. Everyone's needs are met and everyone wins (Charles,1996).
       If students are allowed to help set up the rules, the teacher must first inform the students that they, too, are a part of the process. The teacher should set the minimum guidelines. These guidelines could be based on safety, proper tool care, project protection, etc...( Williams, Alley & Henson's,1999). A tip from Classroom Jobs: Teacher-Tested Tips (n.d.), also agrees with letting students help decide the classroom job rules. The site suggests letting the students decide what needs to be done, this occurs usually after the first or second week of school. They also suggest letting the students brainstorm enough jobs so everyone will have a responsibility. Therefore, avoiding having the same students doing all the work. According to Gordon (as cited in Charles 1996) by including students in the decision making process for classroom rules, you are motivating students, giving them more self-confidence, and self-esteem. Gordon also states that allowing students to create the classroom rules will enc
ourage them to take risks and behave more responsibly.
        Some educational researchers believe that there are ups and downs to allowing students to help create the classroom rules. A positive perspective about allowing students to create rules by Nelson (as cited in Kohn 1996) states, "What we have found is that the kids will either come up with the same rules [as the teacher's] or even tougher rules, but then they have ownership and you can label them 'We decided' instead of 'I decided'" (p.71). Kohn agrees with Williams' idea, saying the teacher should have a clear idea about what the rules should be before approaching the students with creating them. Kohn also discusses the negative side of the students taking part in the rule process. Students may be saying what they think the teacher wants to hear, or remembering what rules were in pervious years. When this happens, according to the author, no learning has taken place. "Also students aren't always fair" (Seeman, 2000, p. 291). Giving them the authority to help create the rules, may give them the
opportunity to compete with each other, hold grudges, or have prejudices. What students visualize, as a good rule may not be good for the teacher and the class. They could create rules that are unprofessional and impossible to enforce.
       Many educators and educational researchers agree that students should be assigned specific jobs. Assigning captains or leaders to each task is recommended (Star, 2004). Five educators sited in Classroom Jobs: Teacher-Tested Tips (n.d.) about classroom jobs suggested giving students titles for their assigned job, like "The Sanitation Commissioner," "Head Provost," and "Technician."
       More specific tips were found in Teacher Art Exchange Mail (2000). Annie labels all of her chairs letters, (A B C D). She also provides a coordinating chart on the board for each letter, "A= assemble pencil for everyone at table, B= bottles of glue, C= carry paper to tables, D= deliver dampened rages for cleanup." An idea Starr (2004) states is to write names of cleanup jobs on index cards. Then have students pick a card to determine what job they will be responsible for. Debbie, from Classroom Jobs: Teacher-Tested Tips (n.d.), states, "I made magnets with the names of all of my students. At the beginning of the day, everyone's magnet is on a designated place on my chalkboard. It is the Boss's responsibility to remove the magnets of those children not following class rules. Anyone whose name is still on the board at the end of the day gets a sticker. My students love being 'The Boss'. It shows me that they know the rules and that they can behave for people other than me." The Dakota Digital Network'
s Art I course (2003-2004) provides a list of very specific clean up rules, " Students must clean work areas before leaving class. That includes putting away all materials including pencils, paintbrushes, paper, folders, handouts, artwork, etc" (p.6).
       Keeping a classroom, especially an art room, clean is a hard job, but also a very important job. A clean classroom helps ensure a positive learning environment for the students. Presenting specific type of environments to students lets them know what kind of behavior is acceptable, or what students may perceive as acceptable. A room that is messy with desks anywhere and papers everywhere gives the students the impression that the teacher does not care about behavior, much less the psychical classroom (Seeman, 200).
       Proper cleaning is a must in the art room to promote safety. Teachers need to review their housekeeping practices. They need to look for areas that collect a lot of dirt and debris around the room. Teachers also need to review student responsibilities, what is expected from the students in terms of use and care for tools, and how distribution and pick-up of tools and materials is handled. Teachers need to remind students to keep dust to a minimum by vacuuming and wet mopping rather than sweeping (Jerard, n.d.). Harvey Fleur (1999) the author of The Imprint of Gesture also finds that dust (clay dust) is a health and safety issue in art classroom. He says that most cleaners are unaware of the correct way to clean up clay dust and that clay dust is a real danger especially when using toxic glazes.
       How to keep students accountable for cleaning up the classroom is huge issue for many teachers. This can be a complex task in bookkeeping if the educator is not organized. In art teacher Dennis McElvain's (2005) art courses. cleanup procedures are worth approximately 10% of the student's final grade. McElvain's procedures include starting cleaning up with five minuets left of class. He also includes proper care for equipment and supplies as part of his cleanup grade. Art I (2003-2004) course description for the Dakota Digital Network, also grades on cleanup, mixing it with a participation grade. This course gives a participation & cleanup grade for each assigned project. The participation and cleanup grade is worth five points out of a total of twenty-five for the entire project.
       The process of motivating students to clean the art room is much more complex than I had anticipated. By doing the literature review, I have become aware of the many avenues to look at when deciding on classroom cleanup rules and making a plan for students to follow. I feel that because of this review, I am more aware of ideas on how to better motivate my students to clean the art room. I have a better understanding of how students might, or might not, benefit from helping to create the cleanup rules, many different plans to implement cleanup, and some different accountability procedures. By knowing this information, I am ready to collaboratively research a method that will best work in my classroom.

Research Process

 My research objective was to find the most successful way to achieve a good classroom cleanup plan in which all students participate equally. I began my research based on three questions in my data collection plan (see Appendix A). The questions were:
1. What kind of student/teacher collaborated rules give students ownership over the cleanup process?
2. What type of written plan will help all students to equally participate in cleanup?
3. What type of system will hold students accountable for their cleanup responsibilities?
   While doing my Literature Review, I discovered that while there were some good theories and suggestions on what makes classroom cleanup easier, there was really no fool-proof plan. I knew that I needed to find teachers with good, clean-functioning classrooms, and ask what tools had worked best for them.
   I created different methods of gathering data that would tell me the different ways that other teachers have success in classroom cleanup. First, I started directly with the students. I created two different survey-questionnaires that I had all my students fill out. I also created interviews for select past and present students. The first questionnaire (see Appendix B) focused on the students' opinions of the current cleanup system and how well they thought it was working. The second (see Appendix C) survey-questionnaire focused on how the students felt they could be better motivated to cleanup. The interview for current students (see Appendix F) focused on the creation of rules and how much say the students should have. The second interview was for past students (see Appendix G). This interview focused on how well they thought my past cleanup plan worked and what ideas they had to make it better.
   My next source for gathering data was to go to other teachers. I created surveys, wrote a letter requesting information, and interviewed the teachers. The surveys (see Appendix D) were passed out to my colleagues at Novi High School who teach classes that use a lot of materials that might require cleanup. Other surveys were given to art teachers from many different schools who teach both secondary and elementary. The survey focused on creation of cleanup rules and on the individual success of cleanup plans. My second method of gathering data from teachers was writing a letter (see Appendix E). I used the online bulletin board from Arts ED Net (http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/) to gather information from art teachers all across the country. My letter asked them to share successful cleanup plans and to provide information about student accountability. Lastly, I interviewed (see Appendix H) select teachers and administrators from my school. The interview focused on student motiva
tion and accountability with regard to cleanup.
   To finish my research I put different aspects of the cleanup plans to the test (see Appendix I). I observed three different classes. I gave two of the classes different variations of the cleanup plans that my data suggested would be the best. I gave the other class no plan to act as the control in my experiment.

    Analysis of Data
       The results from this study have shown that some type of a system is necessary for a better classroom cleanup. I found that classrooms that used an organized cleanup system resulted in an overall cleaner work environment for the teacher and students. Classrooms that use a cleanup system resulted in less work for the teacher after school, less work for individual students, and less missing and or damaged tools and equipment.
       I began my research by giving questionnaires and surveys to my current students in grades 9-12 (see Appendix B and C). I also surveyed teachers in the building that work in an art, lab, or shop type classrooms (see Appendix D). From my student survey I found that 61% of students felt that an organized system was important (see figure 1). The teachers I surveyed strongly agreed.
           Figure 1.

       From my teacher survey (see Appendix D) I found that 61% of the teachers used some type of organized cleanup plan (see figure 2.).

          Figure 2.

       I then wanted to know how the creation of a cleanup plan would be most effective. In my data collection plan (see Appendix A) I wanted to know what kind of student/teacher-collaborated rules give students ownership over the cleanup process. To find this out, I asked teachers in my survey (see Appendix D) if they let students participate in the creation of a cleanup plan and how much input they let the students have. I found that 59% of the teachers I surveyed let their students help in the creation of a cleanup plan. The other 41% of the teachers I surveyed did not let their students have any say.
       The second part of my question in my survey asked what kind of feedback teachers allowed their students in the creation of cleanup rules. I asked the teachers if they allow the students to decide what jobs the class should do, what jobs they are individually assigned, how they will do the jobs, or when the they will do the jobs (see figure 3). I found that only 9% of teachers I surveyed allowed the students to decide what jobs the class should do. Of the teachers surveyed, 52.7% allowed students say about how the jobs are individually are assigned. A significant minority - 33.7% - allowed students to decide how jobs will be performed, and of the teachers I surveyed only 4% let students have say in when they will do the cleanup jobs.

          Figure 3.

       Now that it has been determined who and how the rules are created by other teachers, I felt it was important to know what the basic outline of cleanup rules should be. The second question in my data collection plan (see Appendix A) asked what type of written plan will help all students to equally participate in cleanup. The data I gathered from my teacher survey (Appendix D) and my teacher letter (Appendix E) strongly suggests that each student is first responsible for his or her own mess. The data also suggested that a system of table captains should be created. The table captain would be responsible to see that every student completed his or her individual job, as well as assigning extra jobs to students.
       Once a classroom set of clean up rules was created I felt it was important to see what to do with these rules. From the data I gathered from my teacher surveys (Appendix D), my teacher letter (Appendix E), and teacher/administrator interviews (Appendix H), I found an overwhelming response on what to do with the rules once they were created. About 90% of the teachers that contributed data from my three sources agreed that rules should be posted in the classroom so that all students could read them easily.
       The third question on my data collection plan (see Appendix A) deals with student accountability. I asked what type of system would hold students accountable for their cleanup responsibilities. I wanted to know what would make students motivated to equally participate in cleanup. I received data on student accountability from four of my data collection sources. The first was from my student questionnaires (see Appendix B). About 76% of the students who filled out the questionnaires wrote a suggestion about awarding points for proper cleanup (see Figure 4).

Figure 4.

       The data I collected from teachers who responded to my letter (see Appendix E) also repeatedly suggested that some type of point system should be used to make students accountable for cleanup. I interviewed my past students, teachers, and administrators (see Appendix G and H) about student accountability with regard to cleanup. The data from these interviews also strongly favors a point system for classroom cleanup.
       Through the teacher surveys, letter responses, and teacher/administrator interviews (see Appendixes D, E, and H) I received more relevant data on how to hold students accountable for completing cleanup. The most common suggestion was to hold the class until the entire room was finished being cleaned properly. Other repeated suggestions were to hold individual students back from their next class if they had made an extreme mess and not offer them a late pass.
       Student data from my surveys (see Appendix C) showed strong results in detaining the entire class or individual students for not properly clearing up also. The majority, 64% of the students surveyed, thought that the teacher should detain only the individual student who did not cleanup properly. 31% felt that detaining the entire class would be the most effective way to be sure that the room was properly cleaned. Only 5% felt that no detainment was necessary (see figure 5).

           Figure 5.

       To finish my research I did an observation putting the data I collected from the students, teachers, and administrators into action (see Appendix I). I observed three different ceramics classes, all on the same day, all working on the same project. The first class (Block 1) was my control group. I gave them no cleanup rules to follow and no accountability standards (awarding points or detainment). The second class (Block 2) was asked to make cleanup rules. I had them post the rules in large print on the white board so every one could see them. I instructed them to elect a table captain who would be in charge of extra table jobs. This class (Block 2) was given no accountability (awarding points or detainment). The last class I observed (Block 4) was also asked to make cleanup rules. I again had them post the rules in large print on the white board so every one could see them. I also instructed them to elect a table captain who would be in charge of extra table jobs. I then announced that the
 day's cleanup was worth 20 points and if everyone did not participate, the entire class would be detained from their next class with no pass.
       The results of this observation were very clear. Block 1 students did the least amount of work cleaning up the classroom: less than 45% of the students put any effort into doing a good job. Block 2 students did a much better job than Block1, but still only 74% of my students put effort into cleaning up the room. Block 4 was the most effective. 98% of my students in Block 4 did an outstanding job cleaning the room. The results are best explained in the chart below (see figure 6.)

          Figure 6.

       Action Plan

       "How do you better motivate students to participate equally in classroom cleanup?"is the burning question that caused me to write this paper. Even before my research began I was always looking for ways to keep my art room cleaner. I feel the results from my collaborative action research have produced a solution that I would have never reached on my own.
       It is my experience that students do not adjust well to mid-semester changes. So creating a new set of rules in the middle of a semester would not work well, and I believe it would be unfair to change the standards to which the students were initially told they would be held. Therefore my action plan for better classroom cleanup will be implemented in the second semester, when I have new students.
       My action plan will go as follows. The first part will be to sit down with each block of students in the first week of the new semester. I will guide them in the development of new classroom cleanup rules. I must emphasize the word "guide," as new students will likely not know what rules will be necessary to keep the classroom clean without help. The result should be three sets of cleanup rules, one from each class of students. I then plan to condense the three separate sets of rules into just one set for all classes to use.
       I then will make an art project out of the rules and have the students create posters that will clearly display the rules for all to see. Each class can make different posters of the specific rules or rule reminder signs that will be displayed in appropriate areas (for example, a sign reading "Keep Clay out of Sink" would hang above the sink).
       Students will then elect table captains. The captains will over see the individual table cleanup. They will also be in charge of delegating the students to extra jobs that may only need a few hands to complete.
       My students will be informed of my consequences for not following appropriate cleanup procedures. I will publish the consequences in my Policies and Procedures that go home on the first day of class. The Policies and Procedures paper must be signed by the parent and returned to school. I will also introduce the consequences to the class very clearly so I know they understand that I am serious.
       Having consequences for not following proper cleanup procedures will lead to student accountability. My consequences will be as follows. Students will be awarded 10 points per day for following proper cleanup procedures. The students will be awarded the full 10 points if they do a good job, no points will be awarded for anything less. The second part in achieving student accountability in classroom cleanup will be to detain the entire class if the room is not properly cleaned. Students will not be excused from the room until the room is cleaned to my satisfaction. Students will not be awarded late passes to their next class.
       I have shared the results of my collaborative action research paper with my colleagues who teach in an art, lab, or shop type environment (see appendix J). I have also submitted this paper to the online bulletin board Arts ED Net at (http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/). I received much feed back and interest in the results of my paper from many of the teachers who participated in my study. I think that my action plan data analysis will help many teachers make a plan that will work for their classroom.
       I believe that this plan will bring about better classroom cleanup. I also know that every day will not go perfectly. It is important to keep in mind that like teachers, students have good and bad days. The bad days might result in less than perfect cleanup; this is where some compassion and understanding need to come into play. Overall, I think this plan will make more good days for the students and teachers alike.

       References
Ann, mrsartsj (2000, March 11).Classroom Cleanup Tips [Msg 1]. Message posted to
       http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/archive/Mar00/0788.html
Art I Course Description (2003-2004) Dakota Digital Network. Retrieved June 1, 2005

       from http://ts008.k12.sd.us/art_i.htm

Good, T, L. & Brophy, J.E. (1997) Looking Into Classrooms (7th ed.). New York: Longman

Classroom Jobs: Teacher-Tested Tips (n.d.) A To Z Teacher Stuff (tm). Retrieved June 1,
       2005, from http://www.atozteacherstuff.com/Tips/Classroom_Jobs/index.shtml
Chamberlin, L. J. & Gold, V.E. (1996) Ways to Reduce Student Behavior Problems.
        American Secondary Education, 24, 30-31. Retrieved June 1, 2005, from the
       OCLC FirstSearch database.
Charles, C.M. (1996) Building Classroom Discipline.
        White Planes, NY: Longman.
Fleur, H. (1999, July/August). The Imprint of Gesture. Ceramics Review. 178, 38-39.
       Retrieved June 1, 2005 from the OCLC FirstSearch database
Jerard, A. (n.d.).Hazards in the Art Classroom. National Clearinghouse for Educational
        Facilities. Retrieved June, 4, 2005 from
       http://www.arts.ufl.edu/art/rt_room/teach/art_hazards.html
Kohn, A. (1996). Beyond Discipline: From Compliance to Community.
       Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Developement
McElvain, D. (2005) Bennett School District. Retrieved June 1, 2005, from
       http://www.bennett29j.k12.co.us/
Seeman, H., Ph.D.(2000) Preventing Classroom Discipline Problems: A Classroom
        Management Book (3rd ed.). Lanham, MA: Scarecrow Press, INC.
Starr, L. (2004) Keep It Clean! Quick Ideas for Clean-Up Activities. Education World®.
Retrieved June 1, 2005, from http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/profdev/profdev106.shtml
Weinstein, (1996) Secondary Classroom Management : Lessons From Research and
        Practice. New York: McGraw-Hill

Williams, Alley & Henson's (1999) Managing Secondary Classrooms: Principals &
Strategies for Effective Management & Instruction. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon.

Appendixes

Appendix A
       Data Collection Plan
Research Questions
Source 1
Source 2
Source3
1. What kind of student/teacher collaborated rules give students ownership over the cleanup process?
Student questionnaire

Ex. What art cleanup classroom rules would you, the student, like to have say in?
Teacher surveys

Ex. What art cleanup classroom rules do you allow your students to have a say.
 A. The jobs they are assigned?
B. How, who and when they will do the jobs.
C. I don't allow my students any say.

Student interview

What do you feel is the benefit of student involvement in the creation of rules for classroom cleanup?
2. What type of written plan will help all students to equally participate in cleanup?
Survey Teachers
Ex. In my classroom I use a cleanup plan that:
a. is in the form a chart that has specific jobs that students are assigned to do
b. is a list if rules that I expect them all to do and follow
c. I have no specific rules or plan
Past Student questionnaire/
Interview

Ex. What do you feel was successful about the way I ran cleanup in the art room, what could have been better?

Class room observation.

Implement different parts of the cleanup plan to three different classes, compare the results
3. What type of system will hold students accountable for their cleanup responsibilities?
Teacher letter requesting sample grading policies that include cleanup.
Posted on http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/
Student questionnaire
Ex. What do you feel is the best way to motivate students to all participate in the cleanup process? What should happen if the student is not participating?
Interviews with teachers and administrators

Ex. What do you do or have seen done that successfully motivates students to actively participate in a cleanup type process. What should happen to those who decide not to participate?

Appendix B
       Student Questionnaire
       Classroom Cleanup

Please be as specific as you can with your answers. All responses will be confidential.

1. Do you think that the class should be responsible to design a cleanup rules system and why?

2. How well do you think the current system has been working? Why do you think it works or does not work?

3. What frustrates you the most about the current art room cleanup system?

4. What do you think might motivate students to actively participate in cleanup?

Appendix C
Student Survey

Please answer questions to the best of your ability. Please indicate specific reasons for your answers. All answers will be kept confidential.

1. What do you feel is the best ways to motivate students to all participate in the cleanup process? (mark all that apply)

a. detaining the entire class until all the jobs are complete
b. detaining individual students until their individual jobs are complete
c. including cleanup as part of the current project grade

2. Please describe how you individually would be more motivated to participate in classroom cleanup.

3. What do you feel would make the cleanup process better for most individual students? (mark all that apply)

a. if music was played during cleanup time
b. if more time was allotted to cleanup time
c. if less time was allotted to cleanup time

4. Please add any suggestions that you feel would better motivate the class to participate in daily classroom cleanup.

Appendix D
Teacher Survey

Please answer questions to the best of your ability. Please indicate specific reasons for your answers.

1. What classroom cleanup rules do you allow your students to collaborate with you about? (please mark all that may apply)

a. The creation of cleanup jobs
b. The jobs they are individually assigned
c. How they will do the jobs
d. When they will do the jobs
e. I don't allow my students any say

2. In my classroom I use a cleanup plan that:

a. is in the form of a chart that has specific jobs that students are assigned to do
b. consists of a list of rules that I expect students to individually participate in.
c. I have no specific rules or plan

3. Please describe why you feel that your current cleanup plan is successful or how you feel it could be better.

Appendix E
Teacher Letter

Dear Colleagues:

My name is Erin Worden. I am one of the art teachers at Novi High School. I am currently pursuing my masters through Marygrove College in the Masters in the Art of Teaching program. This program requires me to complete a Collaborative Action Research Project. This is where I need your help and expertise. I am doing my research on better classroom cleanup. I am looking for those of you who have an organized cleanup plan that you would be willing to share with me for my research. I would appreciate a short description of different successful pans, rules you might have posted, or a copy of any policy that might effect students' grades in relation to cleanup. I would be so grateful for any information that you could email to me.
I am also asking for a small survey to be completed even if you have no formal plan. The survey is attached. I will be happy to share the results of my research with you. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Erin T. Worden
Novi High School
eworden@novi.k12.mi.us

Appendix F
Student Interview Questions

1. Do you feel that students should have any say in the creation classroom cleanup rules?

2. What types of say do you feel you should have?

3. What do you feel is the benefit of student involvement in the creation of rules for classroom cleanup?

Appendix G
Past Student Interview

1. What do you feel was successful about the way I ran cleanup in the art room, what could have been better?

2. Describe another teacher's cleanup plan that you feel worked well.

3. Do you feel that incentives such as points would be helpful?

Appendix H
Teacher/Administrator
Interview Questions

1. What do you do or have seen done that successfully motivates students to actively participate in a cleanup type process?

2.What should happen to those who decide not to participate?

3.How do you feel about awarding credit and/or points for proper cleanup?

4. Do you use any type of reward system for cleanup?

Appendix I
Classroom Observation Checklist
Cleanup Results

Date:____________ Block:____________
Method Used: circle one
a. No posted rules, no accountability (points and detainment)
b. Posted rules, no accountability (points and detainment)
c. Posted rules, accountability (points and detainment)

Observed student behaviors
Mark When Observed
Total Number of Marks
Cleaning up individual mess on table

Cleaning up individual tools

Putting project away in proper location

Cleaning up sink after use

Throwing used paper towels in trash

Wiping up spills on the floor

Picking up trash from the floor

Wiping down counter tops

Arranging tools in bins

Closing clay bucket

Placing chairs on table (if last class in room)

Re-cleaning entire table

Appendix J.

October 18, 2005
To Whom It May Concern:
This letter is to confirm that Erin Worden did share her collaborative action research on better classroom cleanup with staff at Novi High School. Her findings were very helpful and many staff members will benefit from implementing her plan.

Sincerely,

Gary Boyer,
Senior District Art Teacher
Novi High School