Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE:[teacherartexchange] Taking photos of artwork


From: Ellen Burnside (ellenburnside_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 04:33:19 PDT

What kind of film are you using? If it's balanced outdoors it will leave a
yellow tint with halogen lights. If you use a flash inside, the flash will
overpower the room lights and the flash is usually balanced for daylight as
well. However, you can buy film that is balanced for indoor light. Check
with a photo store like Dodd's or even Ritz Cameras. As for a setup, it
depends on what you mean by affordable....You can get a portable lighting
kit which is easy to manage from some place like B&K Photo in NY. You can
find their site on the internet too. My prior-teaching place of employment
had one and I used to bring it home to photograph artwork. I would set up
two lights with diffusers over them at 45 degree angles (approximately) from
the work and use a flash slave to trigger everything when I took the shot. I
have also used on flash camera to document work and it was fine (this was on
the Canon EOS Rebel XT) You can experiment with tilting the flash upwards or
leaving it straight ahead. If you are photographing flatwork of a small to
medium size you can use a copystand. This has lights already set at a 45
degree angle and the camera is mounted on a post and can slide up and down.
Just be sure the camera is completely parallel to the subject. When
photographing 3D work, prop up a board or sheet of paper of a neuteral color
(white, grey) so that it curves and looks seamless. Sometimes it's easier to
just ask someone to hold it. If you are photogrpahing on black, use black
velvet. It absorbs the light and shows less dust than any other type of
black object. Good luck with your photography. email if you have more
questions. -Ellen B

>Subject: Taking photos of artwork
>From: "Michelle Kee" <>
>Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:37:48 -0700
>X-Message-Number: 2
>It's time to update the website and my portfolio.
>I want to purchase an affordable set up for taking photos of artwork. What
>kind of lights, and where would you buy them? Would I need a separate
>that flashes when I press the shutter button? Would I need a screen to
>bounce off the light? This would be both for personal professional
>portfolios as well as to update my web pages. My halogen light and floor
>lamp leave a yellow tint.
>Thanks for your input,

Don?t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!

To unsubscribe go to