Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] gridding? how to teach to 5th graders?

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 21:26:09 PDT

>Our 5th grade science program will be teaching gridding and scale on
>landforms. I would like to teach the concept in an easy way . . . in approximately 5 minutes.
>Ideas? Help? :( Jeannie in PA, k - 5

What if students use a grid viewfinder to make a sketch from observation from setups in the classroom? They would draw from observation through the viewfinder onto paper that also has a grid on it?

This page shows a viewfinder with a grid on it. It is made with copying machine using overhead transparency materials. I have also made them with black threads taped across the viewfinder.

This page shows a photo of a third grade child drawing with a viewfinder.

Fifth grade class drawing with viewfinders.

These ideas take more than five minutes, but they are learning art skills and create their own work. Hope this helps.

To unsubscribe go to