Re: [teacherartexchange] gridding? how to teach to 5th graders?

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 21:26:09 PDT

>Our 5th grade science program will be teaching gridding and scale on
>landforms. I would like to teach the concept in an easy way . . . in approximately 5 minutes.
>Ideas? Help? :( Jeannie in PA, k - 5

What if students use a grid viewfinder to make a sketch from observation from setups in the classroom? They would draw from observation through the viewfinder onto paper that also has a grid on it?

This page shows a viewfinder with a grid on it. It is made with copying machine using overhead transparency materials. I have also made them with black threads taped across the viewfinder.
http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/talent.html

This page shows a photo of a third grade child drawing with a viewfinder.
http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/draw.html

Fifth grade class drawing with viewfinders.
http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/westv.html

These ideas take more than five minutes, but they are learning art skills and create their own work. Hope this helps.

Marvin