Re: [teacherartexchange] gridding? how to teach to 5th graders?

---------

From: Marcy Bogdanich (marcy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 16:29:42 PDT

We are doing gridding now with 5ths.
we took copy paper and drew a grid on one half of copy paper. 4"x5" in one
inch squares and another on the other half but this one included a cartoon
figure drawn inside..the students could choose from piglet, darth vader,
thumper, superman, little mermaid and a few more. A quick way would be to
grid coloring book pages and either reduce them so you are able to make the
grid on the same page or just grid a seperate page. the demo was done on a
transparency where the process was explained and modeled. students could
try as many as they had time for. There was also a large sheet of white
roll paper taped to the board with a grid on it. Students could choose a
grid section smaller than the squares on the big white. They enlarged them
and stuck the finished pieces on with tapee so the class was able to see the
picture emerge and try and guess what it was. We then made stand up
draftsman's grids from 12"square stretcher frames. Kids drew a still
life....it was a challenge! We finished by having each kid do a section of
a Picasso cubistic face in oil pastels...these were awesome!
marcy