[teacherartexchange] Monoprints

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 15:56:21 PDT

I forgot to include links to Carla's work:
http://www.artinthemountains.com/carlaoconnorpage.htm
http://www.carlaoconnor.com/

The New Mexico Watercolor Society just had a week long
workshop by Carla O'Connor. She did a monoprint demo
at last weeks meeting. She used 140 lb hot press
paper for her plate. A Smooth surface was very
important. The plate had a coat of "Gold Gesso"
(from Daniel Smith) on it. She painted her image
on the dry gesso with various colors of Gouache.
She dampened the paper she was transferring the
image onto. She laid the damp paper over the plate
and applied pressure with a brayer. The image lifted
quite well. Then she used a damp brush to manipulate
parts of the print. She called the final product an
"Altered Monoprint". I hope I got the steps right.
She said that the paper had to be have the correct
amount of dampness. It's something you must play
with till you get it correct.
                 Woody

--
	Woody, Retired in Albuquerque