Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] monoprints

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 15:11:44 PDT

The New Mexico Watercolor Society just had a week long
workshop by Carla O'Connor. She did a monoprint demo
at last weeks meeting. She used 140 lb hot press
paper for her plate. A Smooth surface was very
important. The plate had a coat of "Gold Gesso"
(from Daniel Smith) on it. She painted her image
on the dry gesso with various colors of Gouache.
She dampened the paper she was transferring the
image onto. She laid the damp paper over the plate
and applied pressure with a brayer. The image lifted
quite well. Then she used a damp brush to manipulate
parts of the print. She called the final product an
"Altered Monoprint". I hope I got the steps right.
She said that the paper had to be have the correct
amount of dampness. It's something you must play
with till you get it correct.

christine wrote:
> I am wanting to do additive monoprints with my 8th grade. I have some
> nice pieces of plexi glass but I am not sure of the type of paint to
> use. I do not have monoprint paint (Createx??)
> I experimented with acrylic but results were poor plus my chinsy drawing
> paper stuck to the plate. Wetting the paper didn't help either.
> I used tempera before at the elementary level and it worked fine but the
> paint dries fast.
> Any suggestions from this wonderful, helpful bunch?
> You all helped me before and thank you in advance for any help again
> Christine

	Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703