Re: [teacherartexchange] Any ideas - Futurism/Dada

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 14:06:30 PDT

>Hi there everyone. I am going to start teaching Futurism and Dadaism soon, in Visual Art Studies, I would like to do a practical project based on these movements - Any ideas?
>
>Paige, Wynberg Girls High, South Africa

Futurism and Dada can be very captivating topics.

Could a relevant practical project be done prior to the study of Futurism and Dada? Would it be practical to base the project on student experiences in their own time and place? What do you see in the immediate lives of these students that would be noticed (critiqued) by a Dadaist or Futurist artist who visits the environment of your students? What do the students see that would be noticed? This presupposes that I as the teacher can define and explain criteria speaking as a Dada artist myself. However, the students themselves are asked to help by being the Dada practitioners without having actually seen the historic works nor have any specific Dada works been described to them. Only the philosophy of the work is proposed. Students need to find, propose, and create the actual content and approaches.

For Dada, this might be started by talking about some of the bad effects art can have in the world and then ask students to generate a list by asking: What is the OPPOSITE OF ART in OUR environments. How could the opposites of art be the basis for a project? How might the creation of presentations of non-art in artistic presentations and venues become practical projects?

Could such projects make them sympathetic and understanding of Dadaists when you subsequently begin discussing the work, the times, the places, and cultures of Dadaists?

Some aspects of the Futurist Manifesto (fascism and violence) seem contrary to political understanding of truth and justice in the world today. I would want to research this a bit prior to getting into it with my students. Would a formal, well researched debate on the virtues of Futurism and Dada by teams of students be a more effective learning tool than a project based on imitating their artwork?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurist_Manifesto
http://www.futurism.org.uk/politics.htm
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Dada_Manifesto_(1916,_Hugo_Ball)
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Dada
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dada

I hope this helps find some ways to learn these topics while becoming educated.

Dr. Marvin Bartel, Ed.D., Professor of Art Emeritus
studio phone: 574-533-0171??
http://www.bartelart.com