So here's what I've got for the new nine weeks (starting tomorrow!!!):
I have a new sheet of rules and consequences.
I have a class syllabus explaining:
- How final grades are calculated.
- How the rubrics work.
- That students will be responsible for keeping track of their grades.
- That if work is turned in late, it will drop by a letter grade each day it
- That they have one makeup day for each day they are absent.
- That they must come to me to ask for makeup work.
- That I expect them to keep an art notebook with the syllabus, rubric, class
I have a general art grade rubric explaining:
- What students must do to receive an A, B, C, D or F.
- That they will get a 0 if work is not turned in.
- That the grade will drop by one letter every day it is late.
- After five days, it is an "F."
I have a Grading Worksheet where they keep track of the assignment, the
title, the due date, the date it was turned in and the grade or points earned.
I have an individual rubric for the first project, outlining the criteria,
asking them to evaluate their own work, and asking them a few questions. This
will be filled out and attached to the back of the work before it is turned in.
I'm trying my best to make my expectations clear. Students need to learn
responsibility. If they have it in black and white inside of their notebooks,
then I won't have to feel guilty when they choose not to follow my rules.